Friday, February 20, 2009

Road trip day 1 part b, mile 0 to mile 641 Henrietta, Tx

OK so I didn't have internet service last night...because I slept in my truck. I have no shame. So I'm finishing the update now...
So day one was exciting. No sooner did I leave the house when I started going through everything in my head to make sure I didn't forget anything. Cameras, check. Water, check. Beef jerky, check. Sour Skittles, check. Toothpaste......awww dammit! I forgot! I just knew at some point on this trip that I would have to go to Wal-Mart. But man, on the first day! Dammit! I didn't want to go in Wally World and leave all my valuables in the truck. I just couldn't bear the thought of someone stealing my stuff. My god, if something happened to that picture frame I don't know what I would do! It was nearly lost forever when it broke, but with Pam's loving care it was craftfully restored to it's original luster. Thank you Pam! So I decided to wait until almost midnight and parked as close to the hire-a-cop that was sleeping in his car as I could get.

Every time I pass the sign for Grosse Tete I have to laugh. I can just imagine Little Johnny saying "Farmer Jones had to put his cow down because she had a Grosse Tete". I know it's not pronounced like that, but I can help myself.

There have been cops EVERYWHERE. I can't recall a trip where I noticed so many people pulled over. On every interstate and in nearly every town. I did hear that they were heading to the greater Houston area in search of a silver Toyota pickup...would you know anything about that Jay?

I was jamming to my iPod and the beat was kickin'...then I put it on shuffle and...Steve Wariner's song "Like A River To The Sea" came on...aaaawwwww dammit again! That is one of my favorites, and a great love song. I started missing Lynn even more than when I was listening to "She Ain't Got The Boom Like I Do". I love you and miss you!!

I think Margarita winked at me today. I just pretended that I didn't see and kept my eyes on the road.

My uneventful day ended with a late-night Wal-Mart raid, and then a night spent in a rest-area. I couldn't see spending money on a hotel when I was planning on getting up early anyway. So I tucked the girls away in the back seat and slept in the uncomfortable front seat. Aren't I a gentleman? I gave them the best spot in the truck. I will say that I don't ever remember a time in my life where I could see so many stars. It was absolutely incredible. Almost like a dream.

So no new pics to add as of yet. But, tomorrow I will be driving Route 66! I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment