Thursday, December 12, 2013

December Road Trip Day 5 - Miles 2120-2966. Homeward bound

Not quite sure what time I woke up (I forgot to write it down...probably due to exhaustion) but I headed out knowing I had an 800+ mile drive today.  What I didn't realize was how very boring it would be.  I mean, I absolutely love driving...love being out on the road.  But DAMN...everything east of Van Horn (which was very far in my rear view) was God awful boring.  I thought I would never get home.  I thought I would never leave Texas.  I thought I was sucked into some vacuum and Texas was never ever ever going to end.  If I had more time I would have found some other way.  And the speed limit out there was 80...but of course most people are driving 90.  I tried to go with the flow of traffic, but I was watching my MPG gauge getting down to almost single digits.  I settled on about 77 to get around 14-15 mpg.  I may have been the slowest guy out there, but I didn't want to have to sever my right arm to pay for gas on this last day.  It's hard to get excited knowing I had to pass through such familiar territory as San Antonio and Houston.  I swear it just dragged on and on.  Finally, after feeling like I was fused with the driver's seat of my truck, I made it back to the house.  Bittersweet.  Deep down I was glad to be home.  But I missed the west so very much.  I missed the excitement I had 4 days earlier when I was pulling out of my garage, filled with glee about the pending adventures.  But life goes on...and life is too short to be anything but happy.  I was thankful I made it back in one piece, I had tons of pictures, I got to see familiar places that warm my heart and new places to add to my collection.  But most of all I am thankful that I have the opportunity to venture to such places...and thankful for my parents who started me on that path when I was all but 6 years old.  But now, as I drag myself inside the house....I'm thankful for some rest...until next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment